During this busy back to school month, Pauline has decided to let us discover one of her specialities : the rougail de saucisses !
Here is a list of ingredients to prepare this dish for 6 persons :
- 1 kg of Basmati rice
- 3 large sausages from Toulouse
- 3 large smoked sausages (Morteau or Montbéliard)
- 1 large tin of red beans (or 3 small tins)
- 6 large spoons of oil
- 4 large onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Fresh ginger: 2 stripes of 1 cm each
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 200 ml of tomato coulis
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 fresh leaves of laurel
- Curcuma (or saffron powder)
- 1 strong spice
- Coarse salt
- 2 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
Preparation of du rougail saucisses
- Boil the sausages with 1 twig of thyme and 2 leaves of laurel during 10 mn. Half way through boiling, prick them to get rid of the fat.
- Keep the sausages and juice on one side.
- Mix 3 cloves of garlic, ginger, spuce, 2 cloves, 3 peppercorns with a small spoon of coarse salt (ideally from Guerande)
- Cut the sausages in bits of 1.5 cm long approximately.
- Add 4 spoons of oil in a stewing pan.
- When the oil is hot, add 3 onions sliced. Turn down the heat and mix. The onions need to be of a clear colour, not too cooked !
- Add the mixed ingredients and stir them together.
- Add 2 pinches of curcuma (or saffron powder).
- Add 6 finely chopped tomatoes. Stir during a good 5 mn.
- Add the sausages.
- Add fresh thyme and 2 laurel leaves.
- Turn up the heat and simmer for 5 mn before adding the juice from the sausages.
- Taste and use salt and pepper as you wish.
- Let the whole dish simmer for 15 mn. It must be quite a smooth texture. If you prefer to have more juice, add a glass of water and tomato juice. If on the contrary it is too liquid, simply add maïzena. Then use full heat for 2 mn.
- Keep the preparation until service.
- Cook the Basmati rice.
Red beans preparation (as side dish)
- Heat in a pan 2 spoons of oil. Add a finely chopped onion.
- Squash or mix 2 cloves of garlic, a strip of ginger, 2 peppercorns, 1 pinch of nutmeg. Add this mixture to the onions.
- Add the red beans.
- Add one twig of thyme,1 laurel leaf and 1 small spool of curcuma.
- Let it simmer for 15 mn in medium heat.
- Place the rice on a large.
- Add on its side the rougail saucisses and the red beans.
- Sprinkle parsley on top.
Bon appetite from Pauline 😉